SCD COFFEE HOUR: Program Scheduled for June 28 to Cover Caregiver Issues.
LIVE WEBSTREAM AVAILABLE FOR OUR NEIGHBOR ISLAND MEMBERS!
YOU'RE INVITED! All members of the Bar, as well as spouses and friends are welcomed to attend.
Where: Hawaii State Bar Association, 1100 Alakea Street, Suite 1000
When: Thursday,June 28 from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
You must RSVP to attend due to limited seating AND you must contact us to be emailed the link for the live webstream.
JUNE 29, 2012: SOLO & SMALL FIRM CONFERENCE
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
TIME AND NEW LOCATION ANNOUNCED:
8:00 am - Check In, Vendor Expo starts at 7:45 am
8:15 AM - 3:30 PM: Keynote Address and Breakout Sessions
Location: Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii - 2454 South Beretania Street
DON'T WAIT, REGISTER TODAY!
A Message from President Carol K. Muranaka:
It was truly an amazing event. The 2012 Access to Justice Conference on Tuesday, June 12, 2012, “JUSTICE IN JEOPARDY: Expanding Access to Justice in Challenging Economic Times” attracted approximately 280 participants at the William S. Richardson School of Law.
In his welcoming remarks, Chief Justice Mark Recktenwald said: Five years ago, we embarked on an ambitious endeavor -- identifying and then addressing the civil legal needs of the most vulnerable members of our society. We took up that challenge in many different ways, including by creating the Access to Justice Commission in 2008. Over the past four years, the Commission has worked tirelessly toward the goal of increasing access to justice. From advocating for amending laws and rules, to encouraging attorneys to increase their commitment to pro bono service, to supporting these annual conferences, the Commission has brought about significant changes to increase awareness and to improve access to justice for Hawaii’s citizens.
See full message here.
Have a suggestion for seminar topics or speakers? We'd love to hear from you, contact us today!FOR
TOMORROW! 2012 Mandatory RSCH Professionalism Course
Save the Date!
- Bar Convention: September 21 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
- 2012 Mandatory RSCH Professionalism Courses: Nov. 17 at the William S. Richardson School of Law. In-person attendance required for newly admitted Bar members.
Webcasts at Your Convenience: 24/7!
Webcasts of past 3-MCPE credit presentations are available anytime. Full list of available webcasts can be found on our CLE webpage.
Stay tuned to the CLE webpage for the latest.
Judicial Selection Commission News- Announcement
The Judicial Selection Commission is pleased to announce that it has appointed private attorney Peter Timothy Cahill to fill the judicial vacancy on the Second Circuit Court bench in Maui County. That vacancy was created by the recent retirement of Judge Shackley Raffetto.
See press release for more information.
Judiciary News- Latest Happenings!
- E-Filing Update: The go live date for the District Court Criminal project, including electronic filing, has been rescheduled to August 13, 2012. See announcment here.
- Supreme Court Update: Governor Names Judge Pollack to State Supreme Court. See press release here.
- Deadline is July 27, 2012: Applications Being Accepted for Per Diem District Judge Positions, First and Third Circuit Court
- Miss the Presentation on the District Court Criminal Project and E-Filing by the Judiciary? The Judiciary Information Management System (JIMS) and Judiciary Electronic Filing and Service System (JEFS) for criminal cases in District Courts is scheduled to go live statewide on August 13, 2012. This will be a significant change for Judiciary staff, prosecutors, and defense counsel as all criminal cases initiated by a criminal complaint will be initiated by electronic filing. See a copy of the presentation material here.
A Message from YLD President John Roth:
Aloha All Hawaii Lawyers:
Just a reminder, the HSBA-YLD will be announcing details in the coming months regarding our annual meeting and call for nominations for next year's board. I encourage you all to visit us regularly at www.hsba.org for the latest.
You may also reach any of the YLD Officers and Directors by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminders, News & Notes:
- Basic Legal Training: Program begins June 25 and we're still accepting registrations. See program brochure and sign up today.
- Nominations Sought for HSBA Awards: Deadline for Nominations: June 15, 2012. Award listing and information available here.
- Save the Date, September 9-11- 2012 Law Conference in Tokyo, Japan.
Bar Card and Bar Directory Update: We've Gone Online and Made it Easier!
Changes and requests for either a bar card or bar directory can now be made online through our submission forms.