YOU'RE INVITED: FREE Coffee Hours Scheduled!
SUMMER SESSION--SENIORS IN ACTION: The Senior Counsel Division has organized a series of coffee hour seminars/webinars designed to answer lots of questions for busy attorneys. The series will run during lunch from 11:30 AM – 1 PM and will include:
SAVE THE DATES:
- May 11, 2012- Planning for Retirement
- June 28, 2012- Caregiver Issues
- July 10, 2012- Long term Care Programs
- July 31, 2012- Cyber Risks
- August 10, 2012- Retirement Opportunities
- August 28, 2012- Care Settings
- September 18, 2012- End of Life Ethics
Dates are tentatively set and subject to change so be sure to check the HSBA website & newsletters for notices and webcast information. See you there---COFFEE IS FREE!
A Message from President Carol K. Muranaka:
A HUGE thank you to Lani Moo who was the first to purchase a “VIP Vampire” table ($5,000 each) for our “spooky” Halloween fundraiser on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Carlsmith Ball, Central Pacific Bank, and Manatt Phelps Phillips followed with their respective purchases of additional “VIP Vampire” tables, and Ayabe Chong Nishimoto Sia & Nakamura bought two “Great Pumpkin” tables ($1,500 each). The generosity and support of these organizations are truly outstanding. I am truly overwhelmed and appreciative.
The fundraising event benefits the Hawaii Justice Foundation and the
Friends of the Judiciary History Center. The Hawaii Justice Foundation is a tax-exempt entity whose sole purpose is to achieve justice for Hawaii’s people.
See full message here.
CONCERNS ABOUT JUDGES OR LAWYERS? CONTACT THE BENCH/BAR COMMITTEE:
Do you have a concern about a particular lawyer or judge or about bench-bar relations in general but don't know where to turn?
The Bench/Bar Committee serves as a confidential clearinghouse for concerns about state court judges and practitioners, specifically or generally. See details of the committee here.
Have a suggestion for seminar topics or speakers? We'd love to hear from you, contact us today!
April MCPE Seminars!
Save the Date!
- COMING UP: Solo and Small Firm Conference on June 29 at the Honolulu Country Club: Guest speaker Dustin Cole, President of Attorneys Master Class, one of the nation’s leading attorney practice development organizations. In addition to providing small group classes, Mr. Cole will speak on “The Economy, Technology, and the Future of the Legal Profession.”
- Bar Convention: September 21 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
- 2012 Professionalism Courses: June 16 & Nov. 17 at the William S. Richardson School of Law
Webcasts at Your Convenience: 24/7!
Webcasts of past 3-MCPE credit presentations are available anytime. Full list of available webcasts can be found on our CLE webpage.
Stay tuned to the CLE webpage for the latest.
BAR PHOTOS: FREE Headshots Being Offered on Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai!
HSBA is excited to announce a new partnership offering our members a free photoshoot to update their headshots for the purpose of our bar directory or bar card!
RCL, an executive portrait studio, has worked with more than 600 professional organizations and photographed over 175,000 professionals.
Oahu attorneys and judges have been in and out of the HSBA during the month of April taking advantage of this FREE benefit!
Neighbor Island Members: Keep your eyes peeled for an email inviting you to make an appointment to take your photos! Dates are tentatively set and locations are being determined. Maui members are set to start the first week of May.
Judicial Selection Commission News- Deadline!
Deadline (April 16)- The Judicial Selection Commission, State of Hawaii, has extended the deadline to submit applications for the following vacancies in judicial offices in the State of Hawaii:
- Associate Justice, Supreme Court (O‘ahu)
- Circuit Judge, Second Circuit Court (Maui)
See press release for more information.
Bar Card and Bar Directory Update: We've Gone Online and Made it Easier!
Changes and requests for either a bar card or bar directory can now be made online through our submission forms.
Judiciary News- Latest Happenings!
- The Supreme Court of Hawai`i seeks your comments on recent proposed rules changes:
- HSBA Seeking Comments on Chief Justice Recktenwald's Judicial Appointment: Chief Justice Mark Recktenwald has announced, subject to Senate confirmation, the nomination of: Adrianne N. Heely as District Court Judge to the Second Circuit. In order to allow the HSBA Board to provide an informed recommendation to the Senate confirmation committee, please submit your comments on this nominee. We would appreciate the submission of your comments as soon as possible, but no later than 5:00pm, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. See additional information here.
- Miss the Presentation on the District Court Criminal Project and E-Filing by the Judiciary? The Judiciary Information Management System (JIMS) and Judiciary Electronic Filing and Service System (JEFS) for criminal cases in District Courts is scheduled to go live statewide on Monday, June 18, 2012. This will be a significant change for Judiciary staff, prosecutors, and defense counsel as all criminal cases initiated by a criminal complaint will be initiated by electronic filing. See a copy of the presentation material here.
A Message from YLD President John Roth:
The HSBA YLD, in partnership with the ABA’s Young Lawyers Division, plans to implement PROJECT SALUTE: Young Lawyers Serving Veterans in Hawaii.
Before this program can be executed, the volunteers are required to be VA accredited and complete a three-hour training session. Therefore, even though we plan to hold the program in the FALL, we need to start the volunteer accreditation process very soon. So if you are interested, please contact Jill Hasegawa at email@example.com or 539-0805 asap to be included in our first group of volunteers to be guided through the VA accreditation process.
See full message here.
DON'T FORGET! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR LAW WEEK:
The Young Lawyers Division (YLD) is asking for volunteers for Law Week-related events. Law Week is a designed to celebrate the legal profession by educating the public through free legal information. We need volunteers for two events:
(1) KHON2’s Actionline the week of April 30 - May 4, 2012
(2) Free Legal Information Clinics around the island on May 5, 2012
See our law week webpage for more.
Reminders, News & Notes: