'Ikena Award (Legal Education)
- 2012 Award Recipient: Calvin E. Young -
Awarded to an individual (attorney or non-attorney) or entity for
outstanding service to the public or profession toward legal education
- Activities relating to legal education such as brochures, speeches, classes;
- Activities supporting legal education such as new public education programs including media and telephone;
- Outstanding service in providing legal education for the public.
President's Award (Distinguished Service)
- 2012 Award Recipient: Justice Simeon R. Acoba and James Kawashima
- Awarded by merit to an attorney or non-attorney, selected by the
Awards Committee, whose extraordinary contributions and/or lifetime
achievement best exemplify the mission statement of the Hawaii State Bar
Association: To unite and inspire Hawaii's lawyers to promote justice,
serve the public, and improve the legal profession.
List of President's Award Recipients
Champion for Social Justice Award - 2012 Award Recipient: M. Victor Geminiani
- Awarded to an attorney or non-attorney for:
List of Champion for Social Justice Award Recipients
Courageous legal work in the face of public controversy that helps promote the interests of justice and preserves the integrity of the judiciary.
C. Frederick Schutte Award
(Service toward the legal profession)
- 2012 Award Recipient: Justice James E. Duffy, Jr. (retired) -
Awarded to an attorney for outstanding and meritorious service to the legal community and the profession, such as:
- Activities within the Bar Association, its committees, Boards, ad hoc committees;
- Outstanding service as an individual to community organizations having an effect directly or indirectly upon the provision of legal services to the community.
Golden Gavel Award(Judicial Administration)
- 2011 Award Recipient: Judge Trudy Senda
Awarded to an attorney or non-attorney for outstanding service to the state or federal judiciary in Hawaii such as:
- Activities relating to court practice and procedures;
- Activities relating to new or innovative projects regarding the Judiciary;
- Outstanding service having an effect directly or indirectly upon the fair and efficient provision of justice by the Judiciary.
Ki'e ki'e Award (Pro Bono) -
- 2011 Award Recipient: Gary Slovin and Mihoko Ito
Awarded to an attorney for outstanding provision of professional legal services at no charge to the recipient such as:
- Pro bono expenditure of time on a case of great public import having a broad effect upon the legal right or interest of a large segment of the community or the community as a whole; and/or
- Extraordinary expenditure of pro bono time in cases above and beyond the normal expenditure of bro bono time within one's employment (e.g. beyond a Legal Aid attorney's normal working hours; and/or
- Expenditure of substantial pro bono time and professional resources as a "private attorney general" on a matter of great public interest or concern where the appropriate government legal officer has refused, neglected or otherwise failed to take action; and/or
- The maintenance, establishment, and/or devotion of a tremendous amount of professional time, beyond one's normal professional obligations in pro bono work in a historical sense (e.g. lifetime achievement).
Ki'e ki'e Award Recipients
Greeley Key Award for Innovation - 2011 Award Recipient: Roger Epstein
Awarded to an attorney or non-attorney for:
List for Greeley Key Award Recipients
Malama Hawaii Award -
Out-of-the-box legal work
that involves promoting new and creative uses of, or approaches to, the
law as a positive force in our community or world (pushing the envelope
in how the legal system might help bring about a better future)
Awarded to an attorney for:
Outstanding and effective
non-legal community service activities to make a difference and improve
the quality of life in Hawaii such as: fundraising for foundations &
local groups, reaching out to the underserved, contributions to low
income individuals and their families, encouraging voluntarism,
revitalizing the community, protecting natural resources and the
environment, or developing innovative and creative community programs.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2012 AWARD WINNERS
• C. FREDERICK SCHUTTE AWARD for service towards the legal profession: Justice James E. Duffy, Jr. (retired)
• CHAMPION FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE AWARD for courageous legal work: M. Victor Geminiani
• ‘IKENA AWARD for legal education: Calvin E. Young
• PRESIDENT’S AWARD: Justice Simeon R. Acoba and James Kawashima
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2011 AWARD WINNERS
l-r: Hon. Michael Broderick (ret.), Mihoko Ito, Jennifer Rose, Hon.
Trudy Senda, President Louise Ing, President-elect Carol Muranaka, Bar
Con keynote speaker Eric Yamamoto
l-r: Chief Justice Mark Recktenwald, Steven Chow, Nancy Youngren (for
Case, Lombardi, Pettit), James Kawachika, Hon. Joel August (ret.), Gary
Slovin, Roger Epstein, Vice President Craig Wagnild.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2010 AWARD WINNERS
Back (l-r): CJ Moon, Leigh-Wai Doo, Tracey Wiltgen, 2010 HSBA President Hugh Jones, Judge Simone Polak, Judge Michael Town, Justice Simeon Acoba, CJ Recktenwald. Front (1-r): Blake Oshiro, Jo Kim, Linda Krieger, 2011 HSBA President Louise Ing, & Kapua Sproat.